Unfortunately, eight presidents have died while in office – four assassinated and four from natural causes.
These presidents were:
- William Henry Harrison– President Harrison died one month into his term from pneumonia.
- Zachary Taylor – President Taylor’s death is not clear. Some think he was poisoned and some believe he died from cholera.
- Abraham Lincoln – John Wilkes Booth shot President Lincoln while attending a play at Ford’s Theatre in Washington, D.C.
- James Garfield – President Garfield was assassinated by Charles Guiteau in 1881.
- William McKinley – President McKinley was assassinated by anarchist Leon Czolgosz. After McKinley’s assassination, Congress officially charged the Secret Service with protecting the United States President.
- Warren Harding – President Harding died from a heart attack.
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt – President Roosevelt died from a stroke two months into his fourth term.
- John F. Kennedy– President Kennedy was assassinated in Texas by Lee Harvey Oswald; however, there are a lot of conspiracy theories that say otherwise.